My Furnace: How Does it Work?
siren 24/7 Emergency Service

Get 24/7 emergency service from Robert B. Payne. Call 540-373-5876 now for urgent service.

My Furnace: How Does it Work?

Maybe you are new to the furnace game. Maybe you’ve had one all your life but are too scared to ask. Either way – we are here to tell you!

What Is a Furnace?

Simply said, a furnace keeps you warm. Some call it a heater.

Your furnace probably runs on gas (the most common variety) which heats your air through combustion and then distributes it throughout your house through your air ducts.

The main parts of your furnace include the thermostat, gas valve, burners, heat exchanger, blower, and duct and ventilation system.

How Does it Work?

You set your thermostat. If it detects that the temperature in your house has dipped, it then sends a message to your furnace to turn on.

The furnace’s gas valve opens and ignites, working with the thermostat to regulate the amount of gas so that the temperature of your home stays steady with little fluctuation.

How Do I Know if My Furnace is Efficient?

The level of efficiency is based on the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE), which separates the amount of fuel used to keep you warm from the amount lost during the combustion process.

In an 80% AFUE furnace, 80% of the fuel is used properly. The remaining 20% is lost through your ducts. A good, efficient furnace has AFUE percentages above 90%. Older, or low-efficiency furnaces have an AFUE rating between 50% and 70%. .

Having your furnace serviced regularly is key to maintaining it for years to come. At Robert B. Payne, we are here to help, no matter what condition your furnace is in. Give us a call today at 540-373-5876!

Financing Badge

Easy Financing

Same-Day Approval

Request Service

Energy Savings Agreement

Sign Up for the Energy Savings Agreement

Streamlined HVAC Maintenance & Member-Exclusive Perks
  • Annual heating and air conditioning tune-ups
  • 15% off parts, labor, and overtime costs
  • Priority service
  • Loyalty credits
  • And more