Here in Virginia, almost every household relies on an air conditioning system to stay cool during the warm summer months. However, there are many different kinds of systems, and some are probably a better fit for your family than others.
Two of the most popular systems are traditional central AC systems and mini-split ductless AC units. Let’s look at the pros and cons of each to determine which is a better system for your home.
Pros of Traditional Central Air Conditioning:
- The system, including the ducts, will be hidden away. Many people like that they don’t have to see their AC system, and that it functions behind the scenes.
- The initial cost – installation and so on – is less expensive upfront.
- It’s a surefire way to cool the entire house, not just one or two rooms.
Cons of Traditional Central Air Conditioning:
- The system takes about a week to install, and the process can be complicated.
- Your energy bill will probably be fairly high due to less energy efficiency.
Pros of Mini-Split Ductless Air Conditioning:
- You won’t have to worry about duct cleaning or replacement, which can be pricey.
- Because there are no ducts, fewer pests and pollutants can find their way inside your home – you’ll have better indoor air quality.
- They only take a few days to install, so you pay less for labor and can start using your new system quickly.
- It can cool your house more efficiently and quickly than other systems.
- The system is very quiet and can be installed almost anywhere.
Cons of Mini-Split Ductless Air Conditioning:
- Systems without ducts usually have higher upfront costs.
- Some people don’t like the fact that you can see parts of the ductless system on the wall or ceilings.
- It will take years for your energy savings to make up for the initial installation cost.
Still not sure which type of air conditioning is right for you? Contact Robert B. Payne Inc. today. Their trained technicians will walk you through the different systems and their installation processes. Learn more by giving them a call at 540-373-5876.