Should You Change Your Air Filter More Often in the Summer?
As the weather starts to warm up, you may be thinking about ways to keep your home cool and comfortable during the summer months. One thing you can do is make sure your HVAC system is running efficiently by changing the air filter more often.
Your HVAC system’s air filter is an important part of keeping your home cool and comfortable during the summer months. It also helps to maintain healthy indoor air quality. The maintenance of your system is incomplete without changing the air filter. The experts at Robert B. Payne will change your air filters so as to maintain your system and ensure it runs efficiently.
Irrespective of the season, there should be a monthly air filter inspection. If the filter is clean, free from dust and not clogged, then it can be replaced every 3 months during winter. But in summer, you should have your HVAC air filters changed monthly.
Here’s what you need to know about changing your air filter more often in the summer.
- Indoor relative humidity tends to be higher during summer. As the humid air passes through the ductwork, over time the filter may become clogged with trapped moisture and dust. It may also harbor bacteria, mold and other contaminants that can circulate through your home, aggravating allergies and causing other respiratory problems.
- In most cities, the central air conditioner runs more during the summer than the furnace runs during winter. As a result, the air filter in your air conditioner works harder to remove pollen, dust mites, and other allergens from the circulated air. That is why it needs more frequent replacement to ensure optimal performance.
- Pollen, mold, spores and other airborne allergy triggers are also more prevalent in summer. And they end up clogging your air filter. It is safer to replace a filter full of trapped mold spores and pollen rather than leave them to become a breeding ground for more mold spores.
If not changed, a clogged air filter will restrict airflow and cause your system to work harder to cool your home. This can lead to an increase in your energy bills and shorten the lifespan of your HVAC system.
Air Filter Maintenance Tips
- While it is recommended to change your air filters every one to three months, you should change them more frequently if you have a lot of people in your home.
- If you have pets like a cat or dog, you should also change your air filter more often because they can contribute to a dirty filter.
- You should also check your air filter regularly and if it looks clogged, go ahead and replace it even if it’s been less than three months.
- It’s also a good idea to keep spare air filters on hand so you can quickly replace a dirty one.
- If you or a family member suffers from allergies, you should consider changing your air filter more often to help improve indoor air quality.
- You can also upgrade to a higher-quality air filter that will last longer and do a better job of trapping allergens, dust, and other contaminants.
- If you have any questions about changing your air filter or maintaining your HVAC system, contact the experts at Robert B. Payne today.
Would You Like to Schedule Air Filter Inspection or Replacement?
Changing your air filter more often in summer is a good way to maintain your HVAC system and ensure it runs efficiently. If you have any questions about changing your air filter or if you would like to schedule an air filter inspection or replacement, contact the experts at Robert B. Payne today. Our team of experienced professionals will be happy to help you choose the right air filter for your home and replace it as needed. Give us a call today at 540-373-5876 to get started.