The transition from winter to spring is always a fun one. You put away the shovels and get out the patio furniture. You move the heavy coat to the back of the closet and bring the short-sleeve shirts to the front. And you turn off the furnace and turn on the air conditioner. But wait, didn’t you skip a step there?
Yes, we’re talking about a spring AC tune-up. Your air conditioning system has been idle for months. You can’t expect it to turn on and start firing on all cylinders without a little help. Sure, you can take care of simple things like replacing the air filter and making sure the ventilation is clear, but a professional can go deeper to make sure your AC is working at maximum efficiency and performance.
What a professional AC tune-up should include
When evaluated professionals to perform maintenance on your air conditioning system, make sure they perform the following duties:
- Inspect electrical connections – Tightening connections that may have loosened over the winter prevents electrical hazards and maximizes the service life of the AC system.
- Cleaning condenser coils – Dirty coils will decrease the efficiency of the unit.
- Check coolant levels – The right amount of coolant ensures peak performance.
- Evaluate blower – Check to make sure the blower is performing well and the blower belt is in good shape.
- Lubricate moving parts – After being inactive for so long, some parts may not be moving as smoothly as intended. This can cause extra friction and unnecessary damage.
- Clear condensate drain line – Debris can build up in the line. Cleaning it out prevents potential water leaks and mold issues.
- Check systems control – Ensures proper cycling and safe operation.
- Calibrate the thermostat – Make sure the thermostat is providing an accurate reading and allowing for proper control.
- Inspect ductwork – Evaluate for proper air flow, spot areas of energy loss, and determine if your ducts needs to be cleaned
Having your air conditioning tuned up in the spring can ensure the system is ready to pump out refreshing cold air all summer long. It will also improve the air quality in your home and reduce the chance of your system breaking down unexpectedly during the hottest months.
When looking for a heating and cooling team you can trust in Fredericksburg, look no further than one of the oldest companies in the area – Robert B. Payne, Inc. Contact us today to schedule your air conditioning tune-up. You can call (540) 373-5876 or send us a message.