Don’t Ignore Your Air Filter – Here is Why
Air filters are one of the most important parts of your heating and cooling systems. They are also one of the most common sources of issues within HVAC equipment. Because they are used so frequently, it’s important that you take the time to clean them or replace them regularly to prevent potential problems.
- Short-cycling – If you notice your air conditioner kicking on more frequently, it could be caused by a clogged air filter. A dirty air filter can lead to something called short cycling, a common problem in air conditioning units. If you hear your furnace cycling more often than usual or notice your utility bills are higher than average, be proactive and check your air filter.
- Uneven heating – Dirty or clogged air filters can send a false signal to your HVAC equipment that makes it turn off when it shouldn’t. Uneven heating and cooling is often caused by restricted airflow. This issue can also lead to increased utility bills if not taken care of. Moral of the story? Change your air filters.
- Allergens – No one wants to breathe in dirty air. If your air filters are dirty, it’s obvious that the air passing through them will pick up allergens and spread them to the rest of your home. If allergens are spread to your duct system, they can linger for months – leading to an increased risk for health issues and even the potential for mold.
- Reduced efficiency: Trust us – the cost of a new air filter is much less than the cost of an inefficient HVAC unit. Your furnace will require more power to work through a dirty filter, leading to increased utility bills and the potential for bigger problems down the road.
- General maintenance: Replacing an entire furnace or air conditioner can be a large undertaking – not to mention a major hit to your finances. The simple task of regularly replacing air filters helps to prolong the life of your unit and save you time and headache later.
Furnace Maintenance and Service
When is the last time you checked your air filters? If you can’t remember, it’s more than likely well overdue!